The Parish of Lazonby lies 7 miles North-East of Penrith, and 15 miles away from the city of Carlisle. The Parish is approximately 5 miles long and 3 miles wide, with the River Eden running along the North-East side, and the A6 running along the South-West side of the Parish. The Scottish Borders are 28 miles North of Lazonby.
The total population of the ward of Lazonby, includes the nearby villages of North Dykes, Great Salkeld and Salkeld Dykes. However, the Parish of Lazonby itself has approximately 500 households, where over 976 parishioners reside according to the 2011 UK Census.
The village has excellent amenities and services for the community - a Primary School, a Church, two Public Houses, a retained Fire Station, a Lakes & Dales Co-op with a Post Office, a Railway Station on the Settle to Carlisle line, a well equipped Community Playground, a Swimming Pool and Campsite, picnic areas, Will Pool natural pond, several well-known local businesses and a Village Hall with Snooker Club.
The Parish Council has worked for the local community for over a hundred years with records going back to the 19th Century. Parish Councils were formed in England after the Local Government Act 1894 was reformed so that Parish Councils, made up of local volunteer parishioners, could oversee civic duties in rural communities. Today Lazonby Parish Council continues to be the voice for the community and made up of ten dedicated Parish Councillors who give their time on a voluntary basis, supported by a Clerk to the Parish Council and Treasurer to the Parish Council.